Here's the porch all decked out with a little fall decor...I'll be adding some more things soon, though!!! BTW, I HATE my front door. My husband bought me a new one for my birthday, but it has to come in. It will be wrought iron!!! I can't wait. I almost waited to take the pictures, but I couldn't wait to share!!
I already had the urns (WalMart about three years ago on clearance for $15 each.) The stories these urns could tell!! They have been in the house, on the front porch, on the back porch, at the school, at homecoming, at graduation..you name it! Whatever my ADD has directed, these poor things have had to endure. I love the shape, the color, everything about these urns. I believe they were part of the Better Home and Gardens collection at WalMart.
So, here's what I started out with....
I actually have three different size pumpkins, but I forgot to take a picture of all of them.
Materials I used were:
- 2 grapevine wreaths (small) to give a stable base and add depth
- 6 white pumpkins (2 small, 2 medium, and 2 large form Michael's)
- a little bit of raffia
- 1 leaf garland (Hobby Lobby)
- 6 acorn/leaves picks from Michael's
- one $2.00 glitter orange leaves bush from Michael's
- Leopard print sparkle ribbon (Michael's - Christmas section)
- hot glue!!!!
Start off by placing the wreath on top of the urn. Next, take the large pumpkin and fit it snugly into the urn.
I didn't hot glue mine, it fit just fine.
Next, take the mid-size pumpkin and flip it over. Take a regular sharp kitchen knife and cut out the tiny indentation on the bottom of the pumpkin. This is super easy because they are foam. Do the same thing for the smaller pumpkins that go on top.
At this point, I positioned my pumpkins on top of one another to ensure they fit snugly and didn't need to be trimmed any further. DON'T GLUE IT YET, just look at it and make sure it works!
At this point, I started taking it apart and hot gluing in a little raffia, a portion of the leaf garland (just cut off chunks as you need them), and one of the floral picks. Repeat these steps for each "layer" of pumpkins. Once I got each layer "right", I would hot glue that pumpkin to the other one. Then, I just repeated the gluing process again with the raffia, leaf garland, and floral pick.
To top it all off, I cut off another strip of garland and wrapped it into a small circle for the top. I just twisted it together and hot glued it on top. I then made a small bow with the leopard print ribbon for the top and hot glued it in, too!
After you look back at it, you may want to take a few spare leaves and hot glue in here and there just to suit your taste. I also put some in the grapevine wreath base and added raffia and an acorn leaf pick there as well just to round it out a little.
I am really pleased at how these turned out. It didn't take me but about fifteen minutes to make two of them. SUPER EASY!!!
Can't wait for the new door to get here in a few weeks. I'm still going to use the same wreath because it matches my leaves on the porch rails and on the topiaries. LOVE the burgundy/green garland for fall! One last look.... I'll be adding more. This is just the start!! Waiting on my cornstalks and burlap ribbon. I'm going to put the cornstalks behind the topiaries for more depth. Also, the mums will be placed this next weekend!!
Happy Fall, Ya'll!!
I'm linking up with Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays, Kristens Creations, Debbie Doo's Newbie Party, AND with Liz over at Savvy Seasons for her AUTUMN ARRIVES party!!!!