Monday, May 9, 2011

For the Love of Pillows.. Stenciled Burlap Pillow

I am obsessed with pillows.  There, I said it.  I love, love, love, love pillows!!!  I just don't think I can ever have enough.  When you add in the fact that I love burlap and damask, well, you see where this is going.

Let me just go ahead and straight up tell you that I can't sew SQUAT. And while I'm confessing....I'll go ahead and add this little tidbit.....  When I was in the 10th grade and took Home Ec, I really didn't sew my shirt I had to make to get an "A".  I messed it up pretty bad and ended up taking it home to finish.  Instead I took it to a local seamstress.  She helped me straighten it out, and I took it back to school the next day.  Don't get all crazy on me, I did it.  Yes, I know...what kind of principal CHEATS on her Home Ec homework???  The kind that now knows all the tricks the kids have up their sleeves, like taking home their Home  Ec homework.  LOL!!  (That was the only "bad" thing I ever did in school for the record.)

Anywho, I can hot glue up a storm, and who needs to sew when you have hot glue? Now, I surely wouldn't wear a shirt or skirt I hotglued together, but I don't mind a few hotglued pillows!!  (I did lose a wraparound skirt off me once at OpryLand when I was like 10, so after that traumatic little incident I won't be wearing anything ever again held on by strings much less hot glue.)

I started out with some burlap, I think it was about a 1/2 yard.  I didn't measure it out, I just cut it to the size I wanted.  (It was a scrap piece leftover from this fall.)  I took one piece and taped the damask stencil to the fabric.  I then used a black fabric marker to color in the template.   The fact it isn't totally black is just fine with me.  I like the different shading, it makes it look "old" to me.  By the way, this dries fairly quickly!

After it dried, I then hotglued up three sides, filled it with polyfill (leftover "snow" from Christmas I had in the closet).  Next, I quickly folded over the last side and hotglued it together.  You will have to "pinch" this side in place for a few minutes to ensure it holds. 

Keep in mind, this is a "decorative" pillow.  If the hotglue comes off, just reglue it!  This little project cost me absolutely NOTHING since I already had all the materials.  If I had guess, I think you could make a couple for under $10.  The major cost would be the material and the stencil.

Pretty cute for a hotglue job, huh?





I'm linking up to Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday! 
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
By the way, I was featured over there this week for my grapevine window wreath last week!!!! THANKS, LINDA!  YOU MADE MY DAY!!!
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/



12 comments:

  1. Love the pillow, Farica!! :) I cannot sew either.. well I can but it certainly is not straight haha! I have been working on some curtains that I made with a glue gun too!! :) I'll show you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful little pillow, Farica! I couldn't sew a thing in Home Ec class. I was totally frustrated with my project!
    I didn't enjoy sewing until I had my daughter. Then I taught myself how to sew.
    Glue guns sure come in handy, don't they? ;)
    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pillows too Farica, and I love your burlap one!! Your bed looks so pretty! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farica, nothing you create shocks me anymore! LOL! You make it sound so easy! Thanks for giving me ideas! Beautiful addition to your bedroom.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Farica!!!! Wait until I show my 12 year old daughter...she love the glue gun. She'll want to make these for her friends!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pillows too! This is too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I can so relate to your sewing story. When I took home ec and I had to sew a pillow, one of my classmates pushed his material under the material however, it wasn't the material that was under the needle it was his finger. That was all I needed to know that I was not interested in sewing. You are absolutely right I can glue anything with a hot glue gun but, don't ask me to sew! The pillow looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girlfriend just did this last week and posted on FB. She's moving into a new house with grand stone front porch so she made 2 for the rocking chairs - one has their last name and one has their street #. Thought it was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you did a great job! I love the stencil design...very creative project.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for using up your "leftover snow"! Thanks for sharing your darling pillow with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pillow, you rule breaking principal, you! LOL. Love your Home Ec confession ... thanks for keeping it real! I'm seriously bookmarking this tutorial because, like you, I can't sew. Have a wonderful day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I use hot glue on everything! I made the entire kitchen curtian with hot glue...lol. I'll have to say that I have used hot glue on clothes before...I have these jean capris that I love exept for the back pockets that stick out, so I just fixed them with a little hot glue! lol...I haven't washed them yet, so who knows what will happen! I'm crazy I know...hehe.

    You have some really great ideas, I'm enjoying your blog!! Kristen

    ReplyDelete





Southern Charm